For those who think that without dieting weight loss is impossible, think again. While following a healthy and well-balanced diet and performing regular workouts will make your weight loss journey simpler, there are ways to lose the extra pounds just by inculcating positive healthy eating habits and lifestyle changes.
- A good nights’ sleep is the best way to give your body the rest it needs. When you sleep the body works hard to repair any damage done to it; digestion takes place properly and fats get broken down. When you do not get enough rest the hormone levels fluctuate. Cortisol for instance is produced in high amounts because of sleep-deprivation and this can heighten insulin levels, threatening weight loss efforts.
- It is important to give a lot of thought to what you eat. When you consume meals mindlessly while watching television, you do not realize when you have overeaten.
- Similar to paying attention to the food in front of you, it is equally important to chew the food slowly to relish it. Chewing slowly helps you to understand when your stomach is full and you are likely to stop yourself from eating in excess.
- When the meals are overcooked, they lose many important nutrients. This triggers hunger cravings and you are likely to give in to these cravings. This is when you start indulging in unhealthy snacking habits. Having grilled or blanched or steamed vegetables and meat is a good way to enjoy the food with all its qualities.
- Just as overcooking is not advisable, you should also remember to include low-calorie foods in your meals. Therefore, eating more high-fiber and low-calorie foods is highly recommended. Complex carbohydrates like whole grains should be in your daily meal plan instead of the refined carbs like white bread and pasta.
- The trick to losing weight without a diet is to eat small meals many times a day. This habit keeps the metabolic rate up. You should also watch the meal portions as you eat; a good way to do this is by using small plates and bowls for your meals.
- Skipping breakfast is perhaps the worst blunder you can make when you keen to lose weight without a diet plan. This is definitely your most important meal and if you avoid it, you tend to overeat during other times of the day. Missing your breakfast will also slow down the body’s metabolism.
- To make sure you do not overeat at any meal, you can feast on fruits before it. Fruits are easily digested and will help to cleanse your system, making you eat less during the meal.
- When you can drink many glasses of water during the day, your body remains hydrated. Water also keeps you feeling full and less likely to make you reach out for unhealthy snacks.
- When you can finish the dinner by nine in the evening, you know you have made a genuine effort to stop gaining unwanted weight. The best way to stay away from snacks before dinner is to eat an early dinner. In case you are still hungry post-dinner, you can always sip on herbal teas.
- Weight loss is possible when you can consciously avoid sweetened drinks which are known to be very high in calories. Instead, you could satisfy your thirst by drinking low-calorie vegetable juices, limited amounts of fruits juices or low-fat milk. Drinking green tea is advisable because it accelerates metabolism and has antioxidant properties.
- When you feel hungry, you can eat protein rich foods as snacks because these will help you to stay full for a longer time. Even during your meals, it is a good idea to eat more of proteins like eggs and beans, lean meats, nuts and yogurts.
- Together with dietary changes, it is important to include physical exercises in your daily routine to see a change in the weighing scale. Walking is by far the best exercise and you can use a pedometer to track your steps.
- If you can laugh heartily you are likely to stay away from unwanted weight gain because laughing significantly increases heart rate and can give you all the benefits of a cardio workout.
- Finally, breathing correctly can help in calorie-burning. This means that you should breathe through your nose and exhale through the mouth; this diaphragmatic breathing will help in toning your abdominal muscles and burn more calories. More oxygen gets delivered to the muscles, tissues and blood and this helps us to exercise for longer hours.
None of these tips suggested above are hard to follow and the truth is that losing weight does not have to be as challenging as it is made out to be. Simple changes in your daily eating habits and lifestyle changes can make you fitter and healthier.